Kristin Davin, Psy.D., Strategic Therapist, Coach, and Communications Expert
The philosophy of resolving conflict and strife in professional and personal relationships is often challenging. People often don’t have the skills they need or the bandwidth to manage conflict in healthy ways because we bring past experiences to the present and expect that things will ‘just work out’ even though we know, without effort, intention, and attention, they seldom do.
And because we are all a work in progress, the desire to make necessary but fear provoking changes, remains. But we remain hopeful. So, we start there.
As a relationship therapist, coach, and communications expert, I work strategically with clients (you!) and businesses with real life tools that can help you build and develop healthy personal and work relationships and effective teams.
By taking an active approach in your development and learning effective strategies and skills, you will learn how to maximize your personal and professional growth and create an effective work and home environment. Ultimately creating the life you desire and deserve.
Having helped hundreds of people grow and develop personally and professionally, I understand the fears and struggles that keep you stuck in certain types of behavior or unhappy situations. So, the struggle is real.
Yet, by examining your behaviors and how they keep leading you to the same types of relationships and conflicts, you will discover how to pivot away from negative interaction patterns, and create more effective communication patterns that will lead you down a different path. This is the goal. Because if nothing changes, nothing changes.
The upside? Learning how to effectively communicate with others both personally and professionally changes all of us in profound and significant ways. Small changes become big changes that in turn become lasting changes.
My personal and professional experience has taught the importance of making necessary lifestyle changes in life for the greater good. Because like you, I am a constant work in progress.
An Overview of the Therapy Process
During the consultation process, it is common to have questions. I expect them. I am here to answer them. One of the most common questions asked by new clients is what the treatment tends to include. You can expect this process to involve the following steps:
- Treatment will begin with intake during which time I will ask about your history and the reasons why you decided to seek therapy.
- During the first two therapy sessions, we will begin to develop a relationship and you will determine if it is a good fit for moving forward.
- We will establish goals, create plans, and discuss how you envision your life once you are able to deal with current obstacles. During this time, many clients also decide to establish the length of treatment they will receive.
- As treatment continues, I will help you navigate the process of understanding what negative cycles you get stuck in as well as what changes can be made to reach a more effective and positive connection.
- During the final stages of therapy, you will begin to experiment with handling conflicts in your relationship without slipping into a negative pattern.
- The process is different for each person, but generally speaking individual therapy usually lasts for 3-6 months, and couples is usually for 5-12 months, depending on issues and current status of marriage or relationship. We start by meeting weekly to get much needed ‘traction’ and then as therapy progresses, I reassess to determine how often we should meet.
For more information on my coaching and personal development, please click this link.
Working with Businesses
Working with businesses, it is important to assess the communication patterns that exist both individually and on teams to assess what is working and equally more important what is not working. The assessment process provides an overview of the strengths and challenges so that a more effective plan of action can be taken to move the business (and the team) down a different path with better solutions. The focus is on not the problems but resolutions and solutions.
Begin Your Counseling Journey Today
As part of the counseling process, we will focus on your strengths both as an individual as well as in your relationship. We will work on news ways to view your life so that you can embark on a path filled with change, solutions, and resolutions. You can contact me today by calling (917) 715 – 6583 or schedule an initial consultation by emailing me at [email protected]
“When in doubt, choose change.” – Lily Leung