There is simply nothing like daylight savings time to put a skip in our step and remind ourselves that yes, warm weather, sun, and longer days are right around the corner. Even the loss of an hour of sleep cannot dampen our spirit! It’s a wonderful time of the year, isn’t it? No more dark mornings going to work and dark evenings when we leave the office. The cold winter is now a distant memory. In the city, a sure sign of spring is the outside seating and open windows!
And because those that experience the cold, winter months and shorter days have a tendency to hibernate and stay inside, we tend to do less and move a little slower. Our enthusiasm for going out in the cold is, well, less enthusiastic. But, who can blame us?
But, with a new season nipping at our heels, there is no better time to evaluate the gap between where you are and where you want to be to spring you into action and making necessary and needed changes in your life. I use a new season to help me do exactly that – get me from where I am to where I want to be. Since moving to NYC three and a half years ago, this has been a consistent theme. I am a work in progress.
Here are some of the questions that I am asking myself this new season:
- Am I in a different place this year than I was last year? Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Did I expect to be in a different place with my business than I actually am? Why is that?
- How am I progressing on the business goals I made for myself at the beginning of the year, and where am I with achieving those goals? I have set both short and long term goals.
- How am I progressing on my personal goals – more time with friends, building relationships, upping my running game – and where am I with achieving those goals?
- Is there anything that prevents me from taking those steps to achieve those goals or holds me back? This questions motive and how you feel about your goals emotionally and if your emotions interfere with your goals.
- Am I apprehensive about achieving my goals and dreams – defined as fear of failure or equally common as fear of success? Sometimes that happens with people, including me.
- How is book coming along?
- Do I have a good work/life integration? (I don’t use the word balance because these two worlds are never ‘balanced’).
- Am I taking the action steps necessary to achieving my goals? We can all dream the dream, but taking the action steps and following through creates the game changer in your life. It’s easy to say, “I want to do, I want to do that”, but it takes much more energy to put your goals into action and implementation. Again, short and long term goals.
- Am I building the relationships and network that I need to in order to cultivate deeper relationships with people – both personally and professionally? This is especially vital to business owners who have a business that is somewhat isolating – like myself.
- Am I taking the time to ‘just be’ and not feel like I have to work all the time? Learning to be in the moment, read, and decompress.
What about you? What questions are you asking yourself to make changes in your life either personally or professionally? Are you in a place in your life where you feel stuck? Are you setting short and long term goals for yourself? If you are challenged by something either personally or professionally are you looking at it from a solution focused approach rather than problem focused?
As we spring forward into another new season for hope and opportunity, what do you want it to look like?